In the highly technical, rapidly evolving life sciences marketplace, innovative companies face numerous challenges in protecting their groundbreaking intellectual property. To advance the unique interests of these companies, the professionals on Whyte Hirschboeck Dudek S.C.'s Life Sciences Team combine legal and scientific prowess with personal service and reasonable fee structure. With a firm grasp of both proposed and existing laws governing intellectual property and the science behind life-saving medical devices and drugs, we help our clients to grow and to advance their interests.
WHD's Life Sciences Team encompasses the following principal areas:
- Drafting and prosecuting U.S. and international patent applications
- Representing clients involved in interference proceedings at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (PTO)
- Preparing legal opinions including clearance opinions, validity opinions and non-infringement opinions
- Representing clients involved in re-examination/reissue proceedings at the PTO
- Assisting universities with all aspects of technology transfer
- Preparing and negotiating licensing agreements
WHD's substantive expertise includes:
- Biotechnology, including molecular biology and biochemistry
- Medical Devices
- Stem Cells
The Midwest has emerged as the "Third Coast"* in the life sciences, a high-tech hotbed that rivals the East and West coasts in developing biotechnology, pharmaceuticals and medical devices. In addition to the legal and scientific skills of our professionals, the Third Coast offers many client-friendly attributes: lower costs and a down-to-earth demeanor that make it easier to do business no matter where our clients are located across the country.
Wherever breakthrough ideas arise, they deserve expert intellectual property legal counsel that’s affordable and accessible. That’s why innovative companies turn to the Life Sciences Team at WHD, in the heart of the Third Coast in Wisconsin. Clients rely on our professionals to advance their interests because we fully understand both the complex science and the legal aspects of developing drugs and medical devices.
The intricate, technical nature of our clients’ industry demands a sophisticated comprehension of the life sciences, which is why many of our practice members hold advanced scientific degrees. Meanwhile, intense regulatory oversight of the industry necessitates an exceptional grasp of the impact of regulation upon intellectual property. Our team leader holds an adjunct post in Patent and Prosecution Law at the University of Wisconsin Law School. Whether the situation calls for advising, litigating or prosecuting, clients know they can count on our Life Sciences counselors and litigators to produce the right results.
WHD’s Life Sciences Team has a history of producing favorable outcomes for clients in a wide variety of life sciences disciplines. We have extensive experience for numerous small to Fortune 1000 companies in medical devices, drug delivery, pharmaceutical, biotech and other industries. WHD represents:
- Companies in the medical device arena in patent prosecution, client counseling and strategic analyses;
- Agro-biotechnology companies in all aspects of intellectual property;
- Biotechnology companies involved in genetic testing and prenatal diagnostics;
- Universities across the United States in technology transfer;
- Biotechnology companies involved in production of biological reagents;
- Biotechnology companies involved in researching the attributes and potential of stem cells;
- Numerous clients in U.S. re-examination/reissue proceedings.
* America’s Third Coast Scientific Community™ is a trademark of The Wisconsin Biotechnology & Medical Device Association