Given their structure and governance, credit unions have many unique legal needs. With this in mind, Whyte Hirschboeck Dudek S.C.'s Credit Union Law Team was designed to offer its clients a broad array of services to meet their every requirement and a depth of experience that allows WHD to not only understand these unique needs, but anticipate them. In this way WHD is helping Credit Unions be more competitive and more successful.
WHD’s Credit Union Law Team encompasses the following principal areas:
Regulatory compliance. Working with credit unions to address a wide range of state and federal regulatory issues. This involves in-depth knowledge of and experience with:
- Federal Truth in Lending Law and Regulation Z
- Chapter 186 and Wisconsin Office of Credit Union regulations
- Equal Credit Opportunity Act and Regulation B
- Federal Credit Union Act and National Credit Union Administration regulations
- Electronic Funds Transfer Act and Regulation E
- Bank Secrecy Act
- Fair Credit and Charge Card Disclosure Act
- Real Estate Settlement Procedure Act and Regulation X
- Fair Credit Reporting Act
Credit Union Mergers and Acquisitions. We have a strong background in M&A transactions involving financial institutions.
- Advice, due diligence and merger and acquisition documents for credit union mergers and acquisitions, including acquisitions of branches of other financial institutions
- Assistance with all aspects of the transaction, including real estate and environmental matters, employment issues, and acquisition of investment businesses
- Assistance in preparation of state and NCUA regulatory filings for merger and acquisition approval
- Preparation of Hart-Scott-Rodino Pre-merger Notification Filing to FTC and USDOJ
- Legal compliance review of loan files acquired in acquisitions
Credit Union Service Organizations (CUSO). We have extensive experience in establishing and representing CUSOs.
- Organization of CUSO and preparation of operating agreement or bylaws
- Section 712.4(b) Attorney Opinion required by NCUA for federal credit unions
- Preparation of agreements with vendors and customers
- Employment agreements
- Privacy law compliance
Corporate and Other Services. With a focused understanding of the particular needs of credit unions, as well as a strong background in business and corporate law, WHD can help credit unions in areas including:
Litigation. With a wining team of litigators at its disposal, WHD is called upon to represent credit unions in cases involving: regulatory disputes, employment disputes, bond claims and other legal matters.
- Business Lending
- Employment Law
- Employee Benefits
- Intellectual Property
- Technology Law
- Trusts & Estates
- Real Estate Law
Corporate Governance. With its unique structure and membership, credit unions often require counsel in areas including: member rights, director responsibilities and organization bylaws. WHD’s Credit Union Team has vast experience in working through these issues.