Energy and Public Utilities: We help clients navigate the regulatory, political and judicial processes to meet the client’s project or transaction needs and deadlines. The firm's experience includes the following:
- Assisted in the development of a facility that could co-burn renewable resource fuels to generate electricity, including the preparation of requests for information and proposals, review of best management practices for the sourcing of biomass material from forest and farms, overall development of a sustainable biomass supply chain and renewable resource fuel market, and the preparation of applications for and negotiation of numerous environmental permits and approvals including air, waterway and wetlands, endangered species, and cultural resources.
- Prepared all transactional documents for the purchase of a wind farm development.
- Represented an offshore wind developer in a PSC investigatory docket relating to the viability of offshore wind development.
Environmental: We advise clients on complex and technical legal matters that involve a broad range of environmental, cultural, natural resource and land use issues. Our experience includes the following:
- Coordinated the applications for and negotiation of permits and approvals involving numerous state and federal agencies, including Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (WDNR), U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Federal Emergency Management Agency, and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, for utility and energy projects, including wind farms.
- Initiated and defended appeals of state and federal permits and approvals before administrative bodies and courts.
- Evaluated the availability of renewable energy, carbon, and other “green” credits for projects, including anaerobic digesters and forestry projects, and drafted contract language allocating credits between parties.
- Counseled clients on the application process for WDNR’s Green Tier Program and assisted with reporting requirements.
Corporate: We provide advice on contracts, corporate merger, acquisition, divestiture, reorganization transactions, and general corporate counseling. Our experience includes the following:
- Negotiated contracts that include the handling, control and transmission of large amounts of electrical power.
- Assisted manufacturer clients by identifying points of entry for their products and services within LEED, Green Globes and NAHB Green Building and by analyzing applicable federal, state and local mandates, tax incentives and related regulation.
- Assisted ANSI accredited standards developer client with development of anti-trust policies, intellectual property strategies and related contractual issues related to development of sustainable products standards.
- Assisted a large provider of hydroelectric power acquire its plants and with day-to-day operational, regulatory, acquisition and general legal matters.
Finance: We assist clients in structuring deals, identifying funding sources, overcoming hurdles and addressing workout situations. Our experience includes the following:
- Represented equipment lender in negotiating interdictor arrangements with bond trustee and other credit participants, revolving loan and term loan financing for construction and equipping of an ethanol facility.
- Negotiated the lease of property for wind towers and transactions over disputes in the manufacture and installation of steel towers for wind farms.
- Served as bond counsel for financing exempt facility portion of ethanol facility with tax-exempt bonds.
- Served as bond counsel for financing facility for “methane to natural gas” project with tax-exempt bonds.
Intellectual Property: We provide intellectual property counsel for clients with sustainable technologies. We perform the following:
- Procure U.S. and foreign patents in the following clean technologies: algae production, biofuel, anaerobic digestion, water treatment, desalination, and solar.
- • Strategic counsel for implementation and management of global intellectual property portfolio for green technology companies.
Green Building: Green building certification is profoundly altering the design, construction and real estate development marketplace. We help clients develop strategies for identifying opportunities and minimizing risks associated with green building certification, acquisition, leasing, construction, and related public disclosures. Our experience includes the following:
- Developed construction contract provisions on the behalf of design-builders and owners, identifying and allocating LEED-related certification obligations, tax incentives, insurance and professional liability issues.
- Created sustainable neighborhood covenants reflecting LEED for Homes and NAHB requirements.
- Drafted white papers for construction and manufacturing clients regarding opportunities/risks associated with potential greenwashing and opportunities/risks under LEED.
Tax: Our tax attorneys have successfully represented clients in a wide variety of routine and complex sustainable and renewable energy-related tax matters involving federal, state, local tax planning and litigation. Our experience includes the following:
- Represented distributor of power generation equipment on the formation of limited partnership to develop a landfill gas electrical generation facility and on the allocation of federal landfill gas credits.
- Represented companies in connection with the merger, acquisition, purchases, and/or proper classification of assets involving wind turbine, waste reduction, waste treatment, anaerobic digester, paper waste conversion, private utility, recycling, nuclear, ethanol and/or water distribution facilities.
- Represented and formed tax exempt organizations that were organized and operated exclusively to promote sustainable and renewable energy.
- Represented numerous clients in federal, state and local tax planning and disputes involving income, franchise, sales/use, property and real estate transfer fee taxes.
Government Affairs: We provide advice on government issues on all levels of government. Our experience includes the following:
- Assisted clients in structuring and issuing tax-exempt financing and in obtaining a U.S. Department of Energy grant.
- Assisted clients in securing state and local development incentives.